Service animals in schools
Legal services attorneys prepared the following responses to frequently-asked questions about service animals in schools.
- What is a service animal?
- How do I identify a service animal?
- What tasks do service animals perform?
- Do service animals have to perform physical tasks?
- Do I have to permit a comfort or emotional support animal?
- Do I have to permit a psychiatric service animal?
- Can the school ask an individual about the nature and extent of his/her disability?
- Is the school responsible for the care or supervision of the service animal?
- Is special training required to be a service animal?
- Can a school ask for or require proof of vaccinations?
- Do service animals have to wear a vest of some kind?
- What if someone is allergic to or afraid of dogs?
- What laws govern public schools and service animals?
- Do I have to permit service animals in training?
- When can a service animal be excluded?
- Can you exclude a service animal for having a bathroom accident?
- Can you exclude a service animals if it growls at someone?
If you have any questions, please contact PACE Legal Services attorney at 503-485-4800 or email@example.com.